Friday, July 10, 2009

Two blogs in one: Welcome to Paris

Hey everyone - Bonjour! I'm in Paris. Indeed. Unfortunately, photos from France will likely be delayed for a few days because of a much slower Internet connection than I expected. I apologize. The Eiffel Tower will make it up here, though ... eventually.

As most of you already know, I was very sad to have to leave London. But I feel that Megan and I had a proper lunch before we left on the Eurostar. We had crepes that were called the Londoner. They had eggs, cheese, and ham. Sooo good. Then we hopped on the Eurostar and went through the Chunnel. My ears popped a lot, but the ride was so smooth - and perfect for sleeping.

Now that I'm in France, I have made the switch to Euros (I once again have to stare stupidly at my change). Also, my pay-as-you-go phone died, so my family will not be hearing from me any more before I go home. (Hi, and I love you!) But yeah ... because I was really tired, I wasn't too eager to check out the city yet (I was still mourning for London). But it's great that we went to the Eiffel Tower because it revived that eagerness to check out a new city. It was a little chilly up there, but the tower was much bigger than I thought, and the views of the city were gorgeous. It was a great intro to Paris!

Paris: Day 2
I'm in love with our hotel's continental breakfast. The food here is amazing. Seriously. Bread, baguettes, croissants, crepes, fruit, juice. (Mom, you seriously would have loved this cherry sauce for the crepes.) Everything is awesome. AND, I can't tell you how many Euros I'll save because they have a machine, and I can get lattes, hot chocolate, coffee, hot water for tea. I was especially pumped because Megan and I thought we had slept through the breakfast time. But basically, breakfast was awesome, and I plan to load up again tomorrow.

The big thing we did today was hit up the Louvre. It was huge, and I saw so much great stuff, including the Mona Lisa. I kept putting my camera in my purse because I was sick of carrying it, but everything was so cool, so I had to keep pulling it out. Boring story, I know, but true.

After that, we went out to a restaurant that steamed your food. I had a chicken curry dish, and it was very tasty. On our way home, most in the group I was with got crepes from a vendor on the street. There were so many kinds: nutella, lemon (awesome), cinammon, banana. Just a bunch, but seriously, good luck resisting the crepe. They smell so good.

Tonight, I've just been struggling with Internet woes. I watched Megan move to various parts of our room to try to maintain an Internet connection before we finally gave up and now I'm using Jen's computer. Thanks, Jen! Very frustrating, but pictures are still a problem. I'm sorry. I'll work through the pain, though, and hopefully tell you some better stories. Hope all is well!

Enjoy the pics even though they are out of order!
The steamed chicken curry dish with some yummy, crusty bread. Mmmm...
Photos from the Louvre. I normally feel like this when I haven't had my coffee.
Egyptian goodness.


I couldn't tell you who painted this one, but I thought it was beautiful.

Outside of the Louvre. FYI, you go in through the glass pyramid. Awesome.

The City of Lights as viewed from the Eiffel Tower.


The tower during the day.

I believe this is St. Pancras Station before we took off on the Eurostar.


My goodbye-London-hello-Paris meal called the Londoner, which had eggs, cheese, and bacon. The other was a dessert crepe with strawberries and whipped cream. And I had a nice Orangina to wash it all down. Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment