Thursday, July 2, 2009

A different sort of flower girl

Yet another crazy, yet amazing, day. We took the tube to Paddington Station and hopped on a train to Oxford. (If there are any British Office fans reading this, we had a stop in Slough!) But we walked from the train station to the university, and we got to go into the Bodleian Library, which was amazing, and walk around outside. (They also filmed some Harry Potter scenes in there!) For lunch, a couple of friends and I ate at the Eagle and Child, which is a pub where C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien would meet up to drink and talk. It was a pub with a lot of character, and the bartender was quite talkative. We also ended up going to the home of C.S. Lewis and later to the church he attended and which he was eventually buried near. To end our day in Oxford, we stopped by the public library, and may I just say they had a very nice music and video selection. I would love to work there.

Just a taste of the awesome architecture in Oxford.

The trip today has only solidified to me the fact that I am falling more and more in love with flowers. I never used to care for them. They were OK. But these English gardens are something else. My trio of random objects I've found I love include flowers, windows, and lamp posts. And they are incorporated into so much of the landscape here. And after going into Lewis' home, I'm determined to eventually live in a house with character. Can't I just live here already?

Some of the windows at Paddington Station.


Windows give this grand room a light and airy feel at Oxford. (Did that sound like an advertisement?)

Flowers and a view of the lovely garden at C.S. Lewis' home.

The church C.S. Lewis eventually attended, when he started to believe in God, and part of the cemetery in which he is buried.

More flowers and a window in Oxford.


My favorite lamp post photo from Hyde Park. (I know I've already posted this one, but it goes with my story, and you need to see it larger, in all its glory.)

Well, the next time I write, I should be in Germany, so stay safe, and I'll talk to you all later.

No comments:

Post a Comment