Monday, July 27, 2009

Getting back to normal, I guess...

I've been home for a week and a half now, and, sadly, I feel like I was in Europe weeks ago. Happily, I feel like I'm finally getting over jet lag, which stuck with me way longer than I've ever experienced (more than a week). I'm sure it didn't help that Megan and I didn't have any decent amount of sleep for more than 26 hours the day we came back to the states. (That's what you get for being stubborn about seeing Harry Potter, I guess.) I will forever be grateful for my roommate who moved my car and drove us to the movie though. I am sure I would have fallen asleep at the wheel. So, a huge THANK YOU goes out to Bill. You rock!

Part of what made my return extra strange is that I wasn't coming home from England -- I was coming back from France, where I was accustomed to saying "merci" every five seconds while not understanding any other words. I must say that it took a couple of days to get that out of my system. At least it wasn't a rude habit or anything. I was also bummed to not have the most amazing bread and crepes at my disposal.

It was also strange to get used to having clean feet at times. This may seem strange, but we walked everywhere, and I was always wearing flip-flops. Even though I do tend to walk quite a bit in Madison, I don't walk nearly as much. So, hooray for clean feet, I guess!

I do think I went through a little withdrawal after coming back. Each day we were surrounded by so many good friends, and after a much-needed day of solitude to decompress after the trip, I was lonely without all of my new buddies. It has been fun to be able to leave messages on Facebook, but it's obviously not the same.

I had an amazing time in Europe, and I can't help but try to think of more excuses to go back. I even have a new life goal of spending at least one consecutive year of my life in the U.K. (It can happen, right?) I just love how travel opens people up to new ideas and ways of life. It's helped me to rearrange priorities, regardless of what may be stressed in our own culture. Traveling in a group has not only introduced me to so many great people, but it has forced me to look at ways in which other people see me. And whether I like it or not, I have been able to learn from those experiences.

To anyone who has ever wanted to go travel but has held back for some reason, I encourage you to go. It may be expensive, but you will not regret it.

I'll post more fun stuff later!

No comments:

Post a Comment