Monday, June 29, 2009

Westminster, London Eye, and Wicked!, oh my!

As you can see, it's been another long, yet awesome day. I got to have my first ride in a double-decker bus, and continued to pound on my poor, aching feet for another 15 hours. Well worth it, though. We got to see some of the major London landmarks: Westminster Abbey, the London Eye, and I went to the musical, Wicked!, which was fantastic. I also got my photograph with a red phone booth and Big Ben in the background, just as Rick Steves suggested! (See below.) That was huge for me. Also, in some pictures, you might see a rubber duck, which is just acting as a mascot, courtesy of Kat. (Thanks, Kat!)


Westminster Abbey is obviously filled with so much history, but actually walking in and looking up at the ceiling and seeing all of the intricate details is the only way to capture the essence of the building in a way that photographs could never express.

The London Eye is the giant ferris wheel-looking object that has a whole bunch of pods that people can go into and get great views of the city. I thought I would get nervous about the heights, but it moved so slowly that it didn't really even feel like it was moving at all. Why does that take away the fear of heights? Not really sure, but it did.

As for Wicked!, if you don't like musicals, you're probably just not going to like it. Sorry. But if you do, check it out. But on the other hand, my roommate Alexis who did not go to the show saw Johnny Depp in Leicester Square on her way home. Yeah, I was pretty jealous.


I'm feeling much more confident about navigating my way through the city. I'm loving the tube, even though it's a bit on the pricey side. (Get an Oyster card! You get a better deal, and it works for buses, too!)

In closing, we were supposed to have our photographs focus on buildings, so you will see a lot of buildings along with some other photos. Here you go. Write more later!


I thought this was a great opportunity to make a Winston Churchill statue appear larger than life.

Thanks for the idea, Rick!

View of Parliament from the Eye. The school kids in the next pod dug it, too!

A better look at these cute kids, all in their uniforms, looking all proper and English.


Definitely not the best picture of this building, but I wanted to get the cucumber shaped building in sometime. Around here, they call it the gherkin.



Parliament ... from the back.


Love the window panes around here. If you think that's weird, I also love the lamp posts. I'm easy to please.


These were some buildings next to the Methodist Center that I thought looked cool. Thank God for air conditioning! Get excited, mom and dad. You've got a picture of a John Wesley statue coming your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment