Friday, June 26, 2009

New in town


First of all, I must say thank you to a couple of my roommates from Madison for giving me a ride to my bus and for taking care of my car. (That's you, Chris and Bill!) It's easy to forget about all of the little things until right up before the trip, when I hit panic mode. But thanks, guys, for being heroes. I appreciate you.

I made the trip from Madison to London with my friend Megan, which helped ease my travel woes. The bus did not get a flat (hurrah!), turbulence did not kill us (shocking yet awesome), we made our connection in Dublin (seriously cool), and we didn't even have to wait in the crazy long, snaking-and-stretching-out-into-the-long-hallway-and-through-the-door customs line even though we thought we did and did so for at least 20 minutes (seriously even more cool). I highly recommend traveling into London through Ireland. Get the crazy checks over with in a much quicker fashion.
My Irish breakfast in Dublin :)

We took a very long cab ride from Gatwick to where we are staying in central London. Our cab driver shared some of the good places to go to in town. (Everyone seems to be up on their history here. Way to go, Brits!) I love that they drive on the other side of the road, but I'm still getting used to being a pedestrian in this city. I'm sure there are a thousand buses in this town that would just love to take my leg off. Green man means go. Red man means good luck, sucker!


I enjoyed (seriously) my first meal of fish and chips, and a bunch of us have taken to drinking Pimms, which is a delightful drink with fruit in it. Delicious. BUT I think I learned today that if you're drinking it outside, you should drink it fast because a random bird could ruin it along with your hair and clothes.

I've also done quite a bit of walking. Megan and I wandered around to Regent Park, and then we both went on a practical walking tour in the Bloomsbury neighborhood, which is where we're staying. One thing I love about London is how much everyone takes advantage of their parks. They are all so full of people. Tonight, Megan and I are going to take advantage of another park. The Kooks and The Killers are playing at Hyde Park, so I guess I'll talk to you all later! I'm off to go have fun!
Trafalgar Square

2 comments:

  1. Oh, totally jealous! Still. My favorite thing about the whole driving on the other side of the road is the sidewalks-if you look down when approaching an intersection, the Brits or Irish have quite kindly painted a reminded to "Look Right First" for us moronic foreigners! It's awesome. Hope you're having fun...love the pix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally need those signs. It's so sad. I still haven't gotten used to it yet. I'm sure by the time I leave, I'll be perfectly confused for Paris!

    ReplyDelete